Thursday, October 6, 2005

One Giant Leap ........

Today was a good day........Yes it was! I love schooling my 7 year old son ,Cooldude.


I 'fell' into homeschooling ..if there is such a thing!

My son was about to enter Grade 1 and warning bells were ringing! He kept telling me "Mom, school is boring" and the school kept telling me "All he needs is to FOCUS ,and ( in their opinion) RITALIN would do the trick!" The hair on my back would rise whenever I heard these words. Needless to say, I was not the most favoured parent but... we did try the medication route.


I sent him to be assessed and the experts told me to 'hold back on the medication and let him repeat Readiness(Grade 0). But.............his assessments came back telling us he had an I.Q. of an 8 year old! ( at the time he was actually 5 and3/4) He was already bored, so how could we keep him back?

It all made NO sense!!!


At Cooldudes's Grade O Graduation, he stood on the stage ....a nervous wreck! When I saw him up there ( knowing he had taken his Ritalin pill that morning!) and could see that he was not coping.....I made the decision.....'He wasn't going to Grade 1 and he wasn't being kept back!" So..... what next?


A friend asked, " Why not homeschool him?" Before this, it had never crossed my mind.'

.

So, the process began............I did alot of searching and praying.

I concluded that this was right. God wanted CoolDude to be home schooled for Grade 1.

It has been an amazing year! He has proved the schooling system wrong. He didn't need medication and there was no need for him to be kept back... what our CoolDude needed was for someone to believe in him and to educate him 'outside of the box'!


CoolDudes's 'leaping from the box' has been a momentous step for our whole family!

We are all sold on Homeschooling and would have it NO OTHER WAY!!


(My 10 year old son, WizzKid will be joining us at 'Fun School' from Jan 2006)

No comments: