Thursday, February 8, 2007

Music helps Maths.

I have always LOVED music.
My Mom's family were blessed with musical talents, and a lot of her family members played the piano beautifully. My Dad has never played an instrument, but has a great love and appreciation for music! I have fond memories of a house fulled with music. It was either my Mom(or I) playing the piano, or my Dad testing his latest speakers or gold tipped Hi-Fi cords!!!!!

At a young age, I would move to the sound of Abba's 'Dancing queen' ..... Supertramps 'Breakfast in America'.....or John Denver's 'I'm leaving on a jet plane'. As we got older(talking about my Dad and I),we still LOVED music, BUT......... the only problem was that he adored Dire Straits,(and even sang like him!!!!) and hated what I loved! Quite normal......... I think!

What am I getting at?........ well I think it is SO important to expose ones kids to different music genres. Even now when I visit my parents, my Dad will share with me his latest musical find. I may love it, or I may not!
As a parent, I do allow my kids to listen to secular music. If the lyrics are gross, we turn it off !But to this day I still LOVE a funky new song with a great beat!

WITH ALL THAT IN MIND............ I decided...... that this year, was going to be a musical one!
We are all learning recorder, myself included! What fun and laughter this has brought into our classroom. At times we battle to regain composure when one of us messes up!!!! Initially CoolDude looked like he was trying to eat the musical instrument. I had to keep reminding him "Stop chomping done on it!" WizzKid blew SO hard that I thought the instrument was going to fly from his mouth and hit one us in the head!!!!!!

I did not love the classics when I was young. I would recite many classical pieces on the piano, but never chose to listen to them, because they were B-O-R-I-N-G! But, I have found some classical Cd's that my kids Love! They incorporate a fun story with the music of the featured composer .......pictured below........ click on the pics, and purchase!I do not sell these or get any profit from them, I JUST LOVE THEM!


MrCoolDude(8) has asked to listen to these Cd's on numerous occasions!

Another thing I do, is play soft, light, classical music in he background when my boys do their maths and project work.

I think this sums up beautifully what Music can do for your child................
"Various studies have shown that children who participate in musical activities, whether playing an instrument or listening to a variety of music, do better in math. Therefore, for a growing child it is important to have music as a part of their life and routine. They develop into people who are better at maths as their brains have been exercised and sharpened to discern patterns and repetition among the musical notes." ...............from a site called 'The Link Between Music and Maths'

That's all from me
Love Fee

5 comments:

Kate said...

I agree..music is wonderful and we love all kinds too. I love your ideas for exposing the kids to all kinds.

Diane said...

Yes, we listen to Classical while we are doing crafts. When my Son was little he used to nap with classical music on softly and he is now very musically inclined. I never did this for my daughter but she still appreciates music. I get CDs out of the library...sometimes we get Jazz, blues, etc...great fun!

Diane

Katie said...

We have the Beethoven Lives Upstairs CD. It's a great story! I knew he was eccentric, but had no idea he was crazy!! I liked learning that he cut the legs off his piano so he could better feel the vibrations on the floor. Very interesting. I've also posted about music helping with learning. It's just a short post, but it's at www.homeschoolblogger.com/kateyz/207159

Kathryn said...

Hey Fee ~ It's me Kathy! (formerly of HSB, Protecting The Seeds). I came across your blog from Tracy's blog (SunnyMountain). I'm not at HSB anymore, but I check in there often, and was sad to see you were gone. I'm so glad I found you! Your blog here is lovely! Come visit me sometime at my VERY simple Xanga blog. I'm at www.xanga.com/kamps624 You have to be a member to comment, but I'd love to hear from you sometime! Hope you're doing well my friend!

Love, ~K~

Beckaboo said...

Tag, Fiona! (I had no idea that was your name -- very cute!!!) I thought Fifi was just a "cover". ;o)

Go check out my blog for the questions.

Blessings, Beckie :o)