Monday, August 20, 2007

New learner at Gibbons Funschool!

It was back to school today. We have had a wonderful 2 week break, and all of us are rearing to learn again! What made it even more exciting, was that TanziPanzi joined us for her first official school day at Gibbons Funschool. I wasn't too sure what to expect ......but all went smoothly.

Well sort of...............

We started off with praise and worship. Tanzi cracked the boys up with her ballet moves and attempts to karate kick them in the groin! Of course they found this very amusing, spurring her on to deliver even harder blows!(I stepped in, and gave the "Is that a good thing to do!" lecture.)

I settled Tanzi down and let her glue shapes onto paper, while I read the Bible to the boys. She quickly caught on that raising her hand gave her an opportunity to speak. So every other minute she would slip her hand up. I would ask "Yes, Tanzi?" And she would blurt out "Goolie" or "Gung-gung". Just to get attention, and make the boys laugh!

While the boys did Maths and Afrikaans, Tanzi and I went onto the computer and learnt about Annie Apple (the 'a' sound). We are using Letterland. It's a unique phonic-based approach to teaching reading, writing and spelling to 3-8 year olds. Every letter is assigned a friendly pictogram character which helps the learners remember the sound that letter makes. It's brilliant and loads of fun.

After this we did a couple of puzzles and I showed her a picture book about the birth of baby Jesus. We went through the book again, and I made her tell me the story. Wow..... what an interesting version she came up with!

Here's the new student hard at work!


With Tanzi in our midst we're in for a lot more laughs and a few testing moments !!!

(Dear God........ lavish me with a double dose of patience and a calm and gentle spirit!..... thank you!) teehee

love Fifi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

Katie said...

We have Letterland too! I can't wait to begin using it.

meNmykids said...

Calm and gentle spirit. I second your prayer for me. Sometimes I feel ready to blow with all of the kids around the table "grouching". Some days are wonderful though.

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your Tanxi experiences. As I type Emma is making her brother laugh hysterically. She HAS to be a clown or she isn't content. :)

Trina said...

I can relate to your post. We will be starting back in soon. Two weeks to be exact. I have a lot to do before we are ready, but I am getting sort of excited and motivated. I need the double dose of patience too. Your Tanzi is a hoot! I can see the same scenario playing out at my house soon, too!

Sabriena said...

Cute! Always fun to introduce them to school. Well, in our family, they start young. You will see the whole family sitting down for school, one year old Heidi with her scratch paper to scribble on (well, she is 2 now, but she did start when she was 1).

sara said...

OH MY! I can relate, just a little, as my little Skye likes to get attention too when it is school time. It takes a lot of planning and a huge amount of patience, doesn't it. Sounds like you are doing a great job, mommy!!!!

Halfmoon Girl said...

Our little ones will be joining us more in school this year. I will be praying for patience too!

Anonymous said...

Too sweet. My little ones start tomorrow, officialy. We are using Before Five in a Row and info on the website: www.letteroftheweek.com
It is a free resource with great printables. Thought you may could use for Miss Tanzi. I'll be saying your prayer a lot too I'm sure.
Love your blog.
Be Blessed,
Chasity
www.homeschoolblogger.com/mojmommy

Beth said...

I'm so glad you're first day of back to school went well...and for Tanzi too! Ok, what is "Afrikaans?"

beth

la bellina mammina said...

Must be fun for Tanzi and all of you! Happy back to school! :-)

Btw, you had forgotten to collect an award from my blog from a week or two ago....:-(