Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tribute to my beautiful Tiggy.

Last week I took our beautiful kitty to the vet knowing that he would not make it home again. It was terribly traumatic for Miss Tanzi who sobbed as she gave Tiggy her last hug. I promised to ask the vet to make Tiggy better, but I also told her that Tiggy was very sick and he may feel better if he was in Heaven with Jesus.(Theology aside!)
Tigz was half Maine Coon and had a glorious coat and tail! He was extremely mischievous as can be seen below ..... everytime Miss Tanzi swung by he would swipe out at her head!
For a month Tigz had been battling with skin issues. I took him to the vet twice and both times he was administered a cortizone injection which never seemed to work. He was given anti-biotics and we changed his diet. Still he got thinner and weaker. Eventually all he could somach was a little milk.
After blood tests the vet confirmed that he had Feline Leukemia. He must have caught it from the ginger cat that kept coming into our house and attacking him! Awww man he was my baby....
As much as I didn't want to say good bye to Tiggy I knew I had to. The vet asked if I wanted to hold Tiggy when they put him to sleep...... and I just couldn't. I said goodbye, climbed in the car and howled like a baby. Then I pulled myself together and went home.
Just as every teacher must have a favourite, Tiggy was my 'pet' and I will always remember the way he woke me up in the morning with his kitty talk.

x

2 comments:

Shan said...

I'm so sorry Fi. I am crying with you. Certain pets are just so special and have special personalities that can't easily be replaced. xx

Eileen said...

So sorry. One of the hardest decisions to make, but you did the right thing.
One of the hardest things to cope with in life, the loss of a beloved pet.
So sorry.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. 'Hope you all feel better.
All the best,
Eileen