Monday, April 16, 2007

Howzit china want some chow?

With regards to the last post, a couple of friends had not heard of some of the ingredients I used in the cookies. You do use them, but in S.A. they just have different names!!!!!

Icing sugar = Confectionery sugar or powdered sugar
Custard powder = mixture of cornflour,salt and flavourings that you add to boiling milk to make a delicious pudding sauce!

It got me thinking of words that we use in S.Africa, that you may not have heard of.

robots = traffic lights
Boot of the car = the trunk of the car
tackies = sneakers
sweets = candy or biscuits
biltong = jerkey/dried meat
braai = barbeque
howzit = how are you?
kokis = felt tip pens/ markers
now now = declaration of impending action
just now = some time in the future
china = a friend
chow = to eat
slops = thongs/flip flops
g-string p*nty = thong

Now the last two words remind me of a story a visiting pastor from Australia told our church. He had forgot to pack any casual shoes, so he visited a shop on the beach. He casually walked up to a young female assistant and asked " I would like a pair of thongs, size 10". She responded with " What colour does your girlfriend or wife like?" He thought this was a rather strange question to ask, but he obliged and said "Well she likes pink, but they're for me so I would prefer black or blue!" He wondered why the young assistant looked suitably shocked and why they were entering the lingerie section! But in silence she placed a blue g-str*ng in his hands!!!!

Love Fee

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah-ha! Thank you! LOL

I love hearing about all of S. Africa's little saying for things! I love having a china in S. Africa! **so funny**

This is totally off topic, but in Portugese fork is pronounced Facka, and we were in a souvenier shop in an airport one time...They had some fancy butter knives and I yelled out, Dad, did you see these fackas? EVERYONE stopped to look at us and gave us looks of disgust! My Dad was so embarassed and I didn't even get it until much later. LOL Oh, I was about 11 at the time.

momto3blessings said...

That was very interesting. The kids and I thought it was neat the different words you use for things. Very cool

Anonymous said...

Hey, Fee! Cute post. I never knew that a china was a friend! I LOVE that! I can't wait to tell my Chinese friends that.

I wonder how in the world that came about?

Are there a lot of Chinese immigrants in SA?

Anonymous said...

oops that was me, Jimmie.

My comment page is coming up in Chinese, so I have to guess at some of the fields. :-)

Katie said...

In Canada we say icing sugar and custard powder just like you do, but it was very interesting to learn some of your other terms. One day I'll remember to post some interesting Canadianisms.

Halfmoon Girl said...

cute story- my daughter gets embarassed if I refer to "flip-flops" as thongs. "Mom!"

KC said...

This was such a useful post, I loved it. I can't stop LOL about the flip flop/thong story. :)

Trina said...

So cool to learn about the different words you use. Hearing your accent the other day was cool too. That STORY WAS HYSTERICAL!! Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

Toooo funny.

Mrs.Martin said...

I always call flip flops, thongs, cuz back in my day, that was the name. However, my teenage girls try to remind or give the look in a crowded room, when I ask their other friends, whose thongs are these? I sure do get everyones attention.

I understand the mans embarrasement. LOL

Ed said...

Slops we also call Plakkies in good old Afrikaans. China they recon came with the merchant ship traders more than a hundred years ago from England. Records have been found referring to China more than a hundred years back. Cockney rhythm & rhyme. China - Plate – Mate.. Or thats the theory. Believe or not.. You decide!