Saturday, May 12, 2007

Best Buddies!


This would never have been possible in S.Africa 14 years ago!


This is a pic of my son WizzKid and his best friend, Zolile. They have been close friends for 8 years, and even though WizzKid and Zoli are no longer in the same school, they have still remained best buddies!
To put you into the picture........ I grew up in a neighbourhood that did not have any 'Black' people living in it...... they were not allowed to rent or own property in our 'White' neighbourhood! My school did not accept enrolments from the 'Black' community, and my college class only had 'Whites' in it! I never SPOKE to 'Black' children, let alone became one of their friends! It was totally unheard of! You NEVER saw a 'Black' person driving a car.

My parents were very progressive and always voted for the freedom of the African people.
It was only in about 1993 that things started to change and the Africans started to live more freely.
Today,....White and Black South Africans mingle freely! Black S. Africans own some of the most expensive cars on the roads and get given jobs before their white counterparts! Oh how the tables have turned!
Things are far from perfect, but I have hope that this land will be healed, and that true forgiveness will overcome hurts and bitterness!

Blessings to you all
Fifi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

That's awesome. So amazing to think of the change in 14 years. I know that racism is everywhere, but growing up in Canada has kept me fairly sheltered from such blatant examples of it. It is definitely here some attitudes and actions though.

Katie said...

It is wonderful to see a nation once scarred and torn apart coming together.
It's also nice to see their friendship has survived even though they are not together at school every day. That's real friendship!

sara said...

That is such a great picture...and very interesting info. I love to read your blog- I always learn something new about S. Africa! Keep up the good work!!!